Black Eyed Pea Gumbo
I really wanted gumbo, but didn’t want to go to the store so I just used what I had on hand. I guess it’s not really “gumbo” but this is my blog and I can call it whatever I want.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups sliced vegan smoked sausage
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 bell pepper, chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 12 ounce package of frozen black-eyed peas
- 7 cups of water
- 2 not-chicken bouillon cubes
- 1 teaspoon cajun seasoning, try to find one without tons of sodium and no MSG
- 1/4 teaspoon file powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 small bunch of kale, stems removed and leaves torn
- cooked brown rice
In a thick bottomed soup pot heat the oil over medium high heat and brown the sausage, removing from the pan when done. Then saute the onion, pepper and celery for 5 minutes or so until everything has softened. Turn the heat down a little and throw in the garlic, cooking for about a minute. Next add the tomatoes, peas, water, bouillon cubes, and spices. Bring soup to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for about 45 minutes, stirring occasionally. Once the peas have cooked through, stir in the kale and sausages then turn off the heat. Serve with brown rice.
This soup is even healthier if you leave out the fake sausage. If you choose not to add them, just add more veggies and peas.